Summertime is finally just around the corner—which can only mean that it’s about time to hit the streets with your natural glow shining with every step you take. Beyond all of the summery fun lined up on your calendar—from beach days to weekend getaways—take a step back and evaluate your skin’s health. After many consecutive months of drying winter weather and a spring season marked by allergies, odds are pretty likely that your skincare routine will need a little sprucing up to prepare for the summertime.
Once temperatures start to rise, take those tides of change as a signal to start revamping your everyday skincare routine. Using this guide, capturing that coveted summer glow is made possible in five easy steps.
Step 1: Cleanse every morning and night
Cleansing your skin every morning and night will ensure that any dirt, oils, and other impurities are washed clean from your skin when you begin and end your day. Cleaning is an easy step to incorporate into your schedule— even the most extensive cleaning regimens don’t last longer than 10 minutes.
Try using one these light yet effective cleansers:
1. CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
2. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser
3. Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser
4. Biossance Squalane + Tea Tree Cleansing Gel
5. Skinfix Barrier+ Foaming Clay Cleanser
Step 2: Clean your pores with clay masks
There’s a reason why mud masks have long stood a test of time in the beauty industry. Stocked up with plenty of essential vitamins and minerals, clay masks are some of the most indispensable skincare products within your regular routine.
Not only are they extremely easy to apply on your own, but you can also see the difference when each and every mask is scrubbed clean. With all of your many layers of sunscreen, serum, and cosmetics clogging your skin, a deep clay mask is the perfect weekly detox you never knew you needed.
Unclog your pores in minutes using these well-loved clay masks:
1. Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay
2. Olay Pore Detox Black Charcoal Clay Face Mask Stick
3. Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Masque
4. Caudalie Instant Detox Mask
5. Algenist Perfect Clarifying Pore Corrector Mask
Step 3: Exfoliate
Exfoliation is the removal of dead skin cells that effectively supports the growth of new cells and leaves your skin looking refreshed and glowy. Most exfoliators use a number of acids and enzymes that work miracles for your skin. As an integral piece to any skin care sets, exfoliation is the number one secret to achieving that summer shine.
Looking to add an exfoliator to your routine? Give these hot items a try:
1. Dr. Barbara Sturm Darker Skin Tones Face Cream
2. Kiehl’s Serum-Infused Water Cream
3. Tatcha The Water Cream
4. Peach and Lily Matcha Pudding Antioxidant Cream
5. Sephora Collection All Day Hydrator
Step 5: Protect your skin with sunscreen
Although experts advise that you protect your skin throughout the whole year, most people only give particular attention to their sunscreen habits during the summer. UV protection is an undeniable essential piece to your skincare routine—no matter how much melanin your skin boasts. The FDA advises sunscreens with SPF levels at or above 15 to achieve the best degree of safety.
It’s no secret that sunscreen can make your skin appear greyish and lackluster, so if you’re looking for a sunscreen that offers up high-protection and an enviable dewy glow, check out these SPF-infused moisturizers:
1. Supergoop Superscreen Daily Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA+++
2. Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Hydrating Moisturizer SPF 45
3. Eve Lom Daily Protection Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen
4. Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion
5. Aveeno Positively Radiant Sheer Daily Moisturizer
Step into the sunlight with unabashed confidence and glowing skin that exudes brilliance and self-assurance. Did we miss anything? What products are your summer favorites? Let us know in the comments below!